When you discover the here which is beyond place,
and the now which is beyond time,
then you will no longer doubt
the limitless freedom you are.
This Silent Retreat is for seekers who are on fire for Awakening. Mooji feels compelled to be in the company of such seeking in order to be in service to ultimate liberation. This 7-day Advanced Retreat is being held at Monte Sahaja, the home and ashram of Moojibaba—an oasis for genuine spiritual introspection where those who are called to recognise and discover their true nature may merge themselves with the spirit of Truth.
Being an advanced retreat, it is for those who have previously attended at least one retreat or intensive with Mooji, either physically or online. Satsang takes place twice each day and in this auspicious time Mooji guides, challenges and responds to questions with wisdom, love, humour and searing clarity.
The powerful communication that takes place in Satsang permeates the silence that is maintained throughout the 7 days. The retreat also includes one full day for self-contemplation where each one can assimilate the guidance and deepen their experience. The quietude powerfully supports the mind’s return to its very source.
Whether you attend physically or participate online, this advanced retreat is an auspicious and potent opportunity to be completely immersed in the energy field of Satsang while in the presence and grace of a great spiritual Master. Welcome!
This Advanced Silent Retreat with Moojibaba is for those who are genuinely drawn to Self-discovery. This environment is not for the merely curious, but for those with a sincere and wholehearted commitment to Self-discovery. Please watch these important videos: An Invitation to Freedom and A Simple and Profound Introduction to Self-Inquiry.
Each participant is required to adhere to the following guidelines which are in place to facilitate your awakening. Therefore, by attending this event you agree to:
- Approach the retreat with the understanding that it is not a casual event—it is for those earnestly seeking Self-realisation in this life.
- Complete the entire retreat and to attend each and every Satsang session without exception. Remain inside the Satsang Hall until Moojibaba has left the room. This is out of respect for what he is offering to all of us.
- Respect and abide by the code of silence for the full duration of the retreat.
- Move quietly with your attention resting in silent awareness. There is strictly no socialising, no physical or eye contact, talking, singing, dancing, reading, writing or use of phones, cameras, other mobile devices, or the Internet during the retreat. This ensures that the attention is not pulled outward but remains in the heart’s energy field. In this way, you make the most of your opportunity and also honour the retreat of other participants.
- If you are attending the retreat with a partner or friend, you agree to not communicate with each other during the retreat in any way. Please respect the Satsang of your loved ones and other retreat participants.
- Present questions to Mooji in a simple, open and honest way. Avoid sharing personal stories, but come as though this is your only opportunity for freedom. Please understand and respect that it is only during Satsang that Mooji invites questions—he will not receive questions afterwards.
- Refrain from using intoxicants or recreational drugs for the duration of this retreat.
- Wear modest clothing throughout the retreat, avoiding tight, revealing or transparent clothes.
- Silent retreats are not a replacement for any therapy or other medical treatment or diagnosis. If you are currently receiving or have previously received any medical treatment or therapy for issues related to mental health, this silent retreat may not be suitable for you. Therefore, for those with a history of serious mental health conditions, it is not advisable to attend this retreat without ensuring it is reasonably safe to do so. Please check with a specialist healthcare practitioner whether attending the retreat is suitable for you at this time. More information can be found here.
- By attending this event, you agree to have your image and voice recorded and possibly used for the sharing of Satsang on DVD, mp3 and on the Internet. All recorded material will be used to serve satsang only. Images of all individuals will be treated with the utmost sensitivity and respect.
Location — Monte Sahaja
Monte Sahaja is an ashram and retreat center entirely dedicated to the complete realisation of the Self. Situated in the hilly region of Alentejo in southern Portugal, Mooji first came here some years ago with the vision to establish a space that would be a spiritual haven for genuine seekers of Truth.
Mooji’s presence pervades and permeates every creative expression on the land and Sahaja’s varied terrain now offers countless beautiful spaces to explore, such as small ponds, hidden paths and vistas, and countless quiet places for meditation and contemplation. Monte Sahaja is an immensely supportive environment for contemplation and introspective self-inquiry and the ideal place for a retreat.
Terrain & Facilities
Monte Sahaja is very hilly and accommodations are a good 5-10 minute walk away from the central area. There are also many natural earth paths and steps throughout the land which make for lovely scenic walks. One must be reasonably fit to move around at Monte Sahaja, and generally, everyone who stays at Monte Sahaja leaves the land fitter than when they arrive.
While Monte Sahaja has many peaceful, shaded contemplative areas, this region is known for its hot and dry summers with temperatures rising as high as 38°C during the day and nights as cool as 10°C. During winter, temperatures can fall below zero.
Water is a precious resource in this dry region and we endeavour to save water whenever possible. All toilets are a dry-composting system where the ‘flush’ is a handful of sawdust. They are easy to use and have seats like normal Western toilets.
Showers are taken using half a bucket of water (with a scoop) once a day. Showering in this way is a good way of conserving water and is as effective as regular showers. Many participants are used to this method of showering after travelling to countries like India. First-timers adjust quickly to what initially is felt like a novel experience.
There are no laundry facilities at Monte Sahaja and no hand washing of clothes is allowed. Ensure that you bring enough clothes to use throughout the retreat bearing in mind that it can be quite hot at this time of year and you may need to change your clothes often.
Electricity & Internet
None of the rooms or tent/camper pitches on the land offer electricity or extra facilities. Please do not bring any electronic devices as there are no facilities to charge your personal devices.
Access to the Internet will only be available on the first and last day of the retreat. There is strictly no Internet facility during the retreat. This is vitally important to avoid distractions and keep the attention inward.
Live Translation in Portuguese, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian is available both at the event and for the online participants, and is lovingly offered by a team of devoted, non-professional interpreters.
It is very helpful for some participants to listen to Satsang in their native language, however please be aware that there is always the possibility that some of Mooji’s words or meaning is missing or not translated perfectly. Naturally, Mooji’s own, unfiltered words are the highest and most powerful transmission, but many have benefitted deeply from listening to the live translation.
Please note that live translation is offered only for Satsang. All other communication and written information, such as the schedule, registration, travelling and so forth, will be available only in English.